Saturday, January 6, 2007

Day 6


Firstly, I apologize to all of those who are reading this blog who don’t know me personally, and may not appreciate my extremely sarcastic sense of humour. I am not used to writing to this wide of a reader base. I have the up most faith in Chinese medicine and would not “opt” out of any part of my rehab no matter how uncomfortable. Believe it or not despite my first reaction to the acupuncture I am actually seeing the benefits of it, and it is not very painful. What I can say is that this is a state of the art full service Hospital (to anyone contemplating the journey). All the staff here at Nanshan are fully dedicated to patient care. So yesterday I'm “walking” past the CT department on my way to get an MRI and I noticed out of the corner of my eye I saw someone staring at me. I thought I would stare him down, This guy had a 2x4 sticking out of his head.and he thought a guy with a disturbed gait was interesting!!
Back to my treatment experience. As you know yesterday was my first stem cell implant. It went fairly smoothly except the stem cells were 3 hours late which made the operation at 6:oopm, which made for an interesting night’s sleep. The procedure itself was painless, including the iv which I was worried about. It lasted about 20 minutes and I was sedated so I did not feel anything. Nor do I remember anything. I did my best to remain completely still to avoid the headache that they warn of, but unfortunately I did get one. Once the doctors were in they were able to give me something and it went away pretty quickly. I even made it down to acupuncture where I asked for an extra one in the head which also helped my headache! My therapist Olivia is awesome.
I attached a picture of the room above- notice the windows we have!!! Wall to wall, floor to ceiling- what a view of the city!!!

3 comments:

dcporter said...

Hey George & Melissa,
I just want to let you know that both Scott & I are thinking about you & we are your biggest cheerleaders!! Take care of each other.
All our love,
Di & Scott
xoxoxoxoxxooooo

Unknown said...

George,

If at some point you are in pain - like a headache - and the medicine that the doctors give you is not working, you can go to the office where Sunny is and ask for a Tylenol PM. It will knock you right out until you are feeling better.

- Jon

Cindy Porter said...

Hi George & Melissa.

I can't believe that the two of you have the time to write to all of us, as often as you do. I'm sure that with all you're having to go through, it's rather time consuming. But please know that every single day of your journey is just as important to all of us, as it is to you.
Continue to be strong and know that you are loved by many.

Hugs & kisses,

Cindy